Frank Vadnal (July, 24, 1921- May, 29 1995) belonged to a family quartet which became
a leading exponent of Cleveland-style polka music. The native Clevelander, son of
Anthony and Anna Kappus Vadnal, was a graduate of Collinwood High School. A banjo
and guitar player as well as vocalist, he performed with the Vadnal Reveliers at
the Great Lakes Exposition in 1937. Under the leadereship of his brother Johnny,
he and his brother Tony and their sister Valeria formed the Vadnal Quartet, which
was based at the Slovenian Workmen's Home. They toured regularly through Ohio, Michigan,
and Illinois and broadcast over the Mutual radio network in the 1950s. From 1949-61
they also appeared on local television station WEWS with "Vadnal's Polka Parade,"
"Polka Varieties," and "Old Dutch Polka Review." The family also toured in Europe,
Mexico, and Hawaii. In addition to Anglicizing original Slovenian lyrics, Frank Vadnal
composed such songs as "String-a-Ling" and "Happy Guitar." An Army Air Force veteran
from WORLD WAR II, he married the former Mary Volk in 1950 and worked most of his
life at Addressograph-Multigraph. Inducted into the Cleveland-Style Polka Hall of
Fame in 1993, he died in Seven Springs, Pa., while appearing in the Seven Springs
Polka Festival. He was survived by his wife and 2 sons, Frank Jr. and Carey.